‘It’s Very Concerning’: San Bernardino County DA Speaks Out as Top Gang Prosecutor Is Investigated Over Violent, Racist Online Posts

DA: Top gang prosecutor suspended after politically, racially charged posts

‘It’s Very Concerning’: San Bernardino County DA Speaks Out as Top Gang Prosecutor Is Investigated Over Violent
‘It’s Very Concerning’: San Bernardino County DA Speaks Out as Top Gang Prosecutor Is Investigated Over Violent

Protesters are calling for the firing of a top San Bernardino County gang prosecutor who is being investigated by county officials over a string of of social media posts riddled with racist remarks and violent language – behavior DA Mark Ramos described as “Very concerning” during a news conference Monday.

The DA’s lead prosecutor for the central hardcore gang unit could be penalized or even fired depending on the findings of that personnel investigation.

With a cloud of uncertainty hanging as the investigation continues, Selyem’s current cases are being reassigned while his past cases are being looked over by another prosecutor in the DA’s office, Ramos said.

That’s why the DA’s office took “Immediate steps” to investigate Selyem, Ramos said, when it learned of the controversial posts on June 28.

Selyem’s Facebook and Instagram accounts have been deleted but some screenshots of the posts in question were saved by The San Bernardino Sun.

Protesters rallying for Selyem’s firing say the posts show racial bias and impact his ability to fairly do the job.

He said he and other activists are filing a complaint with the county over the posts.


DA: Top gang prosecutor suspended after politically, racially charged posts

DA: Top gang prosecutor suspended after politically, racially charged posts

Monday Jul 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM Jul 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM. Michael Selyem, a top gang prosecutor in San Bernardino County, has been suspended for a series of politically and racially charged posts to social media, District Attorney Mike Ramos announced Monday.

Ramos sought to assure the public that Selyem’s social media activity was being taken seriously and he would push to finalize the internal probe – which could lead to disciplinary action up to termination – as quickly as possibly allowed under state law.

In a comment to one post by a conservative-leaning Facebook page, detailing how Waters had encouraged supporters to confront Trump administration members in public, Selyem offered a vulgar take.

Selyem has been the lead attorney on the Central Hardcore Gang Unit since 2006, according to his LinkedIn page.

During the press conference, Ramos acknowledged concern that Selyem’s activity could inject an untoward appearance of bias into the DA’s office – particularly the comment about the unspecified police-involved shooting, which is a type of case regularly handled by the office – and hurt the ability of prosecutors to take cases to court.

Still, he said that Selyem’s cases were being reassigned and a top prosecutor was reviewing others, adding there had been no indication of bias in any thus far.

Ramos said too that he would need to confer with human resources over whether Selyem’s administrative leave was paid.

Guilty Until Proven Innocent: San Bernardino Case Drags On For Years

Guilty Until Proven Innocent: San Bernardino Case Drags On For Years

In 2009, San Bernardino District Attorney Michael A. Ramos, who was running for reelection, joined with then-State Attorney General Jerry Brown in an investigation into the county’s settlement with Colonies Partners.

By 2011, a secret grand jury was impaneled, with evidence presented by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office and the California Attorney General’s Office, alleging Burum offered Jim Erwin and former chairman of the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors Bill Postmus, and JOHN DOES, each $100,000 bribes in exchange for voting for the county settlement in the developer’s favor.

“What is significant here is the most appalling corruption case in decades, certainly in the history of San Bernardino County and maybe California itself,” Brown said at the news conference.

Postmus, known to have a methamphetamine addiction, was chairman of the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors at the time of the county’s settlement, and County Assessor later.

A shocking 29-count indictment filed by San Bernardino District Attorney Michael A. Ramos, charged Colonies Partners LP co-managing partner Jeff Burum, former Assistant Assessor Jim Erwin, Former Supervisor Paul Biane and Mark Kirk, the former chief of staff for county Supervisor Gary Ovitt, with conspiracy to commit a crime, bribery, conflict of interest, tax fraud, tax evasion, perjury and forgery, among many other charges, the San Bernardino Sun reported in 2011.

According to a Writ recently filed with the Fourth District Court of Appeal, for a Motion to Dismiss by attorney Stephen Larson, Ramos did not give the Grand Jury all of the evidence in the case, including that San Bernardino County was in the process of recovering most of the settlement money in its indemnification lawsuit and multiple insurance claims, and believed the settlement was fair, and ultimately saved taxpayers from a $300 million judgment.

“After years of denial, the prosecutors admitted in open court that they knew of the County’s reversal before presenting this case to the Grand Jury-that they knew the County and its attorneys believed the settlement was legally and factually justified.”

California prosecutor who made offensive social media posts put on leave

California prosecutor who made offensive social media posts put on leave

A prosecutor in San Bernardino County, Calif., has been placed on administrative leave after offensive social media posts targeting Rep., immigrants in the country illegally and others surfaced.

Michael Selyem, the top gang prosecutor in the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office, has been suspended from the job until an investigation into his comments wraps up, District Attorney Michael Ramos said in a statement.

“The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office does not condone hate, discrimination or incitement of violence,” Ramos said.

Selyem came under fire after his social media rants emerged, triggering calls for his resignation.

The San Bernardino Sun first reported the existence of an investigation into his comments.

Selyem’s posts went after an array of targets, including Waters, former first lady and the victim of a police shooting.

The comments first came to the attention of the district attorney’s office on June 28, Ramos said, adding that the office “Took immediate steps to initiate a personnel investigation.” The Sun reported that an initial complaint was actually made on June 25.

#DA, #DemocraticAlliance, #Prosecutor, #SanBernardinoCountyCalifornia, #County, #SocialMedia, #Facebook, #AdministrativeLeave, #HardcorePunk, #Cloud, #Racism, #SanBernardinoCalifornia, #Instagram, #TheSanBernardinoSun, #Ghetto, #MaxineWaters, #TheSun, #Immigration, #BreitbartNews, #Budweiser, #SuperBowl, #LinkedIn, #FreedomOfSpeech, #FirstAmendmentToTheUnitedStatesConstitution, #Ethics

Source:
‘It’s Very Concerning’: San Bernardino County DA Speaks Out as Top Gang Prosecutor Is Investigated Over Violent, Racist Online Posts
DA: Top gang prosecutor suspended after politically, racially charged posts
Guilty Until Proven Innocent: San Bernardino Case Drags On For Years
California prosecutor who made offensive social media posts put on leave

Read More